Using research and data to improve student success at Delaware State University
How might we use research and data to inform operational and strategic efforts to improve student success?
- Partnered institutional research (IR) with faculty and academic leadership
- Employed a cross-functional team together to provide different perspectives
- Expanded the role of data at the university to beyond external reporting and compliance
- Developed a framework to analyze data for a new initiative, I5O (e.g., what is the issue, information, insights, solution, implementation, and outcome)
- Used predictive analytics to identify student re-enrollment behaviors
- Leveraged data to address questions regarding student academic performance, enrollment, retention, housing, tuition waivers, and scholarships
- Implemented data dashboards so campus leaders can better gauge student performance and progress
Now Enrollment Management and IR analyze pre-registration data and share progress through a dashboard that can be viewed by deans and the university’s president. In the last three years, the pre-registration rate has increased by 13%. The university can predict which students will re-enroll in any college or university with about 88% accuracy and 97% accuracy for those who will remain at Delaware State.
Ready to take action?