Developing an Early College High School program at San Jacinto College
How might we better support our local K-12 system by developing an early college high school that allows students to earn both a high school diploma and an associate’s degree?
- Developed a long-term path for developing an Early College High School (ECHS) program
- Located seven of the eight ECHS on the college’s campuses
- Partnered with local school districts
- Embedded eight San Jacinto College advisors in high schools during school year
- Let advisors help high school seniors enroll in college, select courses, apply for financial aid, take placement tests, and interpret test scores
- Encouraged students to complete advanced high school course work in addition to college-level courses
- Offered discounted San Jacinto College tuition for students participating in an ECHS
In addition to discounted dual-credit programs, San Jacinto College now supports the K-12 system through sustained investments in four ECSHs and shared educational advisors.
Ready to take action?
Students of Color
Net cost of Attendance